Equipping disciples for ministry and service through leadership as local pastors.
Licensing School 2021
The online session of Licensing School will begin April 28th and conclude May 30th. Required Online orientation will be held on April 28th from 4:30-6:30pm Pacific Time, with 2 hour weekly zoom meetings Wednesdays from 4:30-6:30pm for worship practicums, participant presentations, guest lecturers and class discussion . Please remember this program is the online equivalent of a 10 day 80 hr. residential program, plan accordingly. Participants may spend as many as 20 hrs a week on classes and assignments.
Individuals, who are certified candidates in the United Methodist Church, will be prepared to be licensed as Local Pastors through Licensing School. The program provides 80 hours of education in United Methodist Tradition, Public Worship and Liturgy, Preaching, Leadership/Administration, Spiritual Formation, Educational Ministries, Pastoral Care, Mission and Evangelism, Conference specific education. We cover everything we think students will need to know in order to begin their ministry as licensed local pastors.
Because of the online nature of this program students will need an email address, a zoom account, adequate access to the internet, access to a computer, laptop, or tablet for writing and submitting papers and quizzes, and a way to record content such as a sermon and worship services that will be uploaded.
Registration is open – Click here to register
Deadline to register is April 22nd
Your DS’s signature will be required for registration.
Completion of Licensing School does not mean that you will be appointed as a local pastor, however, it is a necessary step in receiving an appointment as a local pastor.
Licensing School Fees
Licensing School fees are less than previous years, the fee is $900, we must receive your payment before the start of class.
Pre-work is due by email to email@example.com by April 26, 2021.
- Self-reflection and ministry goal statement – One page about what you perceive as your call to ministry, what are your strengths for ministry in your mission field, where do you need to grow and strengthen your abilities, and one goal you have for this year in ministry.
- Contextual Analysis 1-3 page description of your ministry context – please describe the church, community, and congregation you are or will be serving. Questions you might answer are: what is the age, racial and ethnic makeup, and socio-economic status of your congregation, church, and community. Who does your church serve? What kind of worship services do you conduct, what language do you conduct them in? What kind of ministry are you engaging in? How would you describe your mission field – the primary people you want to reach through your ministry?
- MissionInsite Report- MissionInsite is a demographic tool that can be used to help you understand your church and surrounding community. Please contact your District Superintendent and inform them that you need a MissionInsite Report for the church you will be serving. This is required work for Licensing School. They will be able to connect you to the conference person responsible for generating that report. You need to email a copy of this report to firstname.lastname@example.org we will be using this report for some of our learning together.
- Create a zoom account by going to https://zoom.us/signup it is completely free and required for class participation and completion of the Licensing School course this year.
Required Text Books: These are the required books for licensing school, they are also foundational resources for ministry in The United Methodist Church. Most of them are currently available for free online.
- The New Interpreter’s Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version with the Apocrypha. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2003. ISBN: 9780687278329
- The 2016 Book of Discipline Click Here For Access
- United Methodist Book of Worship
- This Holy Mystery Click Here For Free PDF
- By Water and The Spirit Click Here For Free PDF
- The United Methodist Clergy Book of Firsts by F. Belton Joyner, Jr. ISBN: 9781945935077
Additional Requirements and Curriculum: The final curriculum is still being developed, please check back here regularly for updates.